Martinez Historical Society
Walking Tour of Martinez
Bell Telephone Company Building
736 Ferry Street
The telephone was brought to Martinez and the Northern Pacific Railroad depot on Ferry Street in 1881 by James Borland. After several moves a permanent home was sought and after a 1904 fire this property was sold to the telephone company.
Martinez Historical Society Plaque #14 Reads: Built after the Fire of 1904 which razed the entire block. Occupied by Contra Costa Telephone founded in 1881 by J. Borland which was sold to Pacific Bell Telephone company in 1892 with R. Borland as superintendent for 40 years. Offices of Bray and Bray since 1961.