Martinez Historical Society
Walking Tour of Martinez
610 Main Street
Site of first mercantile store in Martinez. The general store of Capt. Fogg, begun in 1849, was sold to Simon Blum, who maintained it until the 1880's when he sold it to Baer Bros, of San Francisco who sold it to D.L. Hilson. Until 1991, this building housed the Hilson's Department Store which began operation in the city in 1913.
Martinez Historical Society Plaque #3 Reads: On this site in 1852, Huram Fogg began a mercantile store. Operating as 1854 - 1897 Simon Blum and Bro, 1897 - 1912 Baer Bros, 1912 - 1986 Hilsons.