Martinez Historical Society
Walking Tour of Martinez
801 Main Street
Built in 1927 to replace the old Hook building that dates to 1853. This new building housed the James Hotel and Coffee Shop along with various businesses. A cigar factory was located on the Ferry Street side where the Hoffman family made widely known Blue Bird Cigars.
Martinez Historical Society Plaque #13 Reads: Hook Building 1926 Built to replace building destroyed by fire in 1925. Originally built in 1854 by Pioneer & Prominent Landowner William Hook. Occupied by the James Hotel - James Bulger Proprietor until closed in 1979.