Martinez Historical Society

Walking Tour of Martinez

 

lasellLasell Building

Green and Castro

In 1885, L.M. Lasell opened a general merchandise store in a two story frame building he built on the corner of Castro and Thompson Streets. A new brick building was built adjacent to the old building in 1917 at the corner of Castro and Green Streets. It became the largest retail mercantile establishment in the entire county. Lasell's closed its doors for the last time in 1985.


Martinez Historical Society Plaque #2 Reads:   L.M Lasell Co. 1885 - 1985.