Martinez Historical Society
Walking Tour of Martinez
600-610 Ferry Street
Built in 1914, this replaced the Curry Livery Stable and Hall that burned in 1904. The Royal Theatre was upstairs and the upper hall was used for prize fight arenas, dances and traveling shows. Building was restored by McMahon Telfer Trust in 1980's. Received award from California Conference of Historical Societies for restoration with integrity.
Martinez Historical Society Plaque #7 Reads: 1862 site of Seely J. Bennett's Livery Stable and Social Hall. Destroyed by fire, 1904. 1913 built by Henry J. Curry with retail and offices, Royal Theatre, the city's first. 1939 building acquired by Mc Mahon Family.