Martinez Historical Society

Walking Tour of Martinez

Martinez Museum Museum02

1005 Escobar Street

Built as home and office of Dr. John S. Moore in 1890. Known as the Borland House after 1900 when Moore's daughter Emma and her husband James H. Borland owned it. Rented to businesses including a palm reader, in the 1930's. Acquired by the Contra Costa Community College District in 1948 and used for administrative offices until 1973. Became the Museum of the Martinez Historical Society in June of 1976.